It is important to know that hurricane season typically runs from June 1 – November 30. These tropical storms consist of excessively high winds and rain. Without the proper preparations and precautions, hurricanes can severely impact your septic system. There are many things to consider before, during, and after a hurricane to ensure a functioning septic system; however, it’s best to take preventative measures first. In the event that a hurricane does become a threat to your area, here are a few septic system tips on preparing your septic system during hurricane season.
- Make sure all septic system maintenance is up to date. This will help prevent last-minute repairs when time is limited.
- When preparing your septic system, ensure that the area has good run off to avoid flooding in and around the septic system area.
- Avoid compacting the soil around the septic system. Compacted soil leads to flooding and can be detrimental to your septic system.
- Avoid driving around and over drains and pipes as it can cause damage to your system.
- Make sure the manhole cover or ports are secure to prevent water from getting in
- Your tank should be partially full. A normal functioning septic tank should have water up to the exit pipe.
- Waterproof the electrical pump connections to avoid an electrical shortage from flooding.
- If you are experiencing backwash, decrease water usage to relieve pressure.
- Conserve water as much as possible by:
- Avoid flushing toilets
- Cut back on showering
- Limit the use of washing machines and dishwashers
- Call for a septic system inspection to ensure that your septic system is functioning properly.
- Have your septic tank pumped to remove any unwanted debris from the storm.
- Avoid opening the tank until all signs of flooding disappear.
Prevent these issues from becoming your issues. Regular maintenance to your septic tank means one less thing to worry about while staying safe during a storm. Septic Maxx provides eco-friendly products that can decrease drain line buildup, replenish septic tank bacteria levels, and promote a healthy system. Visit our Septic Maxx website for a full list of effective septic products that will help you keep a clean and fully functioning Septic system.